Search This Blog

Friday, October 21, 2005

Quick Update

Allison apparently did an excellent job recounting our latest surgical exploits.

Last night was rough. Woke up around 2:30AM with pain that wouldn't let me go back to sleep. It was like going through the same surgery twice. But they think they got all of the leaks and tomorrow we'll have another echocardiogram to find out.

They had to break the original 7 ribs they broke for the first surgery so that was fun.

I have pain in those ribs and my side when I breath deeply...they say this should go away soon....I told them I should go away soon.

My feet don't hurt anymore but they are severely swollen and a lovely shade a blue.

If things stay positive from this point on the last painful experience I should have is the removal of the drainage tubes in my chest. They are smaller than the one they used for the open heart surgery but now there are two. I feel like cyborg.

Last note: On my diet decathalon.....they switched things again. I am now on a "Clear Liquids" diet. This means anything you can see through. The broad spectrum of choices include:
  • Tea
  • Water
  • Jello
  • Beef Broth
  • Ginger ale
  • Popcicles
  • Cranberry Juice
  • Italian Ice

So, as you can imagine I've been indulging quite a bit. Not even Mom could cook like this.

Joe

~14 days post-op

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Clear liquids.....himmmmmmmmmm
Let's see..

1) Some fine Champagne to help with those last few pains in the ribs
2) Some fine Champagne to toast your unbelieveable spirit
3) Some fine Champagne to salute your unbelieveable courage
4) Some fine Champagne to say a big thanks and send off to the Mistake by the Lake
5) Some fine Champagne to welcome you home!


Jamie

Mary said...

Joe,
Clear liquids Im with you. Thanks to you and all you wonderful diet ideas I've lost 6lbs! I just wish I could take away some of the pain that you have endured thus far. keep going strong!

Anonymous said...

Is that cucumber vodka you've got stewing in your kitchen still clear?

Anonymous said...

What the hell is broth anyway? Well, let's find out!

Broth is: Broth and stock are interchangeable terms and mean a flavorful liquid made by gently cooking meat, seafood, or vegetables, often with herbs, in liquid, usually water.

This is from the new italian dictionary so I think it is best for you.

I don't know what happens or what they call it if you don't cook the meat, seafood, or vegetables gently. Maybe if you cook them vigorous, they call it, the gad damn broth. Who knows, just doesn't sound right. I could see meat juice, or vegetable water, but broth, sounds like something you put in the fish tank.


So, that's an interesting fact for your day. Another fact, HELLO! I can see through my beer here. I have been on this clear liquid diet for three days, ever since I became addicted to this Internet thing.

You deserve a beer, and of course all that Champagne the other post (Jamie) mentioned.

Joe, keep smiling, our superman cyborg, happy go lucky, guy you wish would never have to go through this but you know can, with dignity and the strength of a thousand men.

Finish line is in view brother, keep up the pace.

George R.

Anonymous said...

Can"t you see through vodka, gin, and teqiulla?