Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Milking as much as they can out of me.

Disclaimer: This post is being written while on Darveset after a long day.

Maybe it is because I am in a customer service business but it will never cease to amaze me how poor most people and instutions are at managing expectations.

Much to my dismay, I did not recieve any pain killess prior to going for the lymphangiogram. No verset, no phentenol, not even damn leather strap to bite down on. "Oh, the dye is cut with 50% lanacaine, a topical analgesic that will numb you as it goes it" says the NURSE who did the injections. F-ing great. Not only is it not Dr. Griesen who is doing the injecting, but it is a nurse who isn't much for negotiating. "Don't worry" she says, " most people say they feel a little pinch and then its over." At this point I am already down in radiology on a gurney watching this woman unwrap the syringes. It is an open area with stations partitioned only by curtains.

Moments earlier this boy of about 10 came in with his parents. They moved into the station directly across from me. And I thought, "Damn it!" I can't make a run for it if the kid is sitting still. Granted, he wasn't being stuck with needles, but he seemed happy as clam (never understood this analogy but will use it nonetheless).

So I re-engaged the joyless nurse. "How many injections do you need to do? One, two?" "Actually, no. We need to do an injection between each one of your toes, so I guess that makes it 8." "What?!!" "Don't worry. It'll be quick and it won't be that bad." "Tell me nurse...when was the last time you were on the recieving end of this treatment?" "Well, I haven't but this is what people tell me."

Just for the record: There is no way in Hell that anyone who undergoes this feels "just a little pinch". You want to know what it feels like? It feels like getting a needle shoved inbetween each one of your toes. That's how it F-ing feels!

But wait there's more! What I also wasn't told was that after the injection the Dr. then needs to make an incision in one of the vessels in my foot and inject more dye. Oh, Happy Days!!!

The good news is that for the next 2 months my will be the same shade of green as the 18th hole at Augusta. Also, if I shed any tears or sweat, they will both have a blue tint to them. This is like X-Men One when the senator get's turned into that gellatinous mutant. (If you saw the movie you'll get it.)

So my feet are still swollen and I'm going to head to bed soon, but I am yet to share any news of consequence, so here goes. If you've been skimming, now is the time to read. The dye DID reveal a small leak in the thymus, but it was not well situated to undergo the second part of the procedure (through the liver). So what is plan B?

I'm so glad you asked. Tomorrow morning at 7:00 I will be wisked away once again to the nether regions of the hospital. Dr. Gillinov is going to open me up again through the same incision he created for the mitral valve repair. He is then going to try to suture the offending gland. That's right ladies, and gents, another surgery. It should last about an hour an I have been told the recovery will be nowhere near as rough as the original heart surgery, but at this point, who the hell knows.

The only funny part of this whole thing is that this evening I was told that I had to change my diet. This time they want me to eat as greasy food as possible. By doing this, when they go in tomorrow, they should see more than a drip from the thalamus. So, I ordered: tortollini with alfredo sauce, a sirloin steak, fresh cut fries, and half a glass of olive oil to be sopped up with bread. Somehow they didn't think this was enough so they started bringing me a juice glass full of whipping cream every two hours that I had to finish. Ever bet someone that they can't drink 1 gallon of whole milk in an hour without puking? If not, you can make some good money while betting the bravado. It can't be done, but by midnight this evening I think I will have ingested 1 liter of whipping cream.

I will be in the ICU again tomorrow night so look for some sort of update from Allison, who by the way, is a rock. Honey, I love you with all my triglicerides.

~Joe

12 days post-op

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you throughout your morning procedure and continuing recovery.

You may have drunk enough cream to fill a milk bottle, but its really good that you are not a cow, as that Thymus gland is really Sweetbreads, and you know what a delicacy that is in some circles.

Jamie

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Joe,
Sooo many people are thinking of you right now as you enter the OR, there are positive thoughts flowing from the northeast west to Cleveland, from CA east to Cleveland, from TX up north to Cleveland, from IL on a puddlejumper over to Cleveland and from Europe on over too. Haven't found anyone in Canada yet to send good wishes southward, but maybe that's a good thing - wouldn't want them all to collide at once in the middle! Hoping this is the LAST obstacle in your adventure. You've kept us inspired, on the edges of our seats with your account of your past 2 weeks. On a positive note, what a wonderful opportunity for your parents and Al's dad to spend lots of quality bonding time with Max, right?! One day little Max will wonder why deep down he just doesn't like Cleveland, and why his hatred for the Indians and the Browns rivals most of our feelings about the BoSox and the Cowboys! Go kick butt Joe!
Karen

Anonymous said...

Joe,

Sorry to hear about all you are going through. EJ and I spoke last night he told me what was going on. Cory and I are keeping you in our thoughts and prayers and wish you a speedy recovery.

Just so you know, I used to be able to put away a half gallon of milk in 30 minutes w/o puking, but of course those were younger years when lactose digestion was not in issue . . . but I digress . . .

Take care Joe, best wishes to you and your family.

Jason, Cory, and Peyton Emily

PS - You can add South Jersey and the Philly area to Karen's list of locations around the country where people are thinking about you!

Gardenia said...

Joe, I've actually got tears running down my face, I'm lauging so hard. (My tears are not blue.)

I know you wrote this when on drugs, and I'm not being critical, but you left out a word in one of your sentences, and I think it's VERY important that we know what this word is.

You wrote: "The good news is that for the next 2 months my _____________ will be the same shade of green as the 18th hole at Augusta."

Your WHAT?? Are you intending for us to fill in the blank ourselves?

plavoukos said...

Joe - speaking of healthy diets - went out to dinner with some atlanta folks last night
Bill Lawrence, Bob keyser, Allison Elliott, jonathan Adams, Jasme Bantens, Craig Kronenberger, Ed Zhang, Michael Aubrey (who am I missing? they ssend their best btw) anyway - we must have been channeling you and your fatty diet challenge - - - after suping on random roast pork and other meats, the group dove into a tidy little sugar donut chocolate fondue - you could hear the Lipitor stock going through the roof. Hang tough - this thing is almost behing you.

Anonymous said...

Joe,

Just wanted to let you know that we are thinking of you. I cannot believe all that you have had to go through. I hope everything went well with the procedure this morning and that the recovery is not too bad.

Good luck to both of you, you both are in our thoughts and prayers.

Horowitz Family

Anonymous said...

Joe, Al -- I don't know what to say!! There's no WAY anything else could happen here... you must be just about at the finish line of your experience in Cleveland. We are all anxious to welcome you all home and help you to get back to 'normal.'

They should make all nurses and doctors undergo a sample of the type of procedures they're administering... just so they don't say stupid things like 'just a pinch' and 'no big deal.' If I was 'they' that's what I'd do.

Stefanie

Anonymous said...

Joseph, you are one amazing dude - enduring yet another PAINFUL procedure and able to crack jokes and keep such a good attitude!! We hope the surgery today will be the end of your ordeal and you will soon be on your way home for good!! You must have gained 10 lbs with all the food yesterday - bet it tasted better than fat-free cottage cheese!! We're sending you positive thoughts and hope your surgery is 100% successful. We send you heaps of hugs and good wishes, Doug and Marge

Anonymous said...

just wanted to let you know I am thinking about you and you are in my prayers. Now get the F out of there!

I love you man,
damato

Anonymous said...

Simply amazed you kept writing after the day you've had my friend.

Not to harp but this project is now way over budget and they've missed all their deadlines. Joe I know you're down and all but perhaps these folks need a bit more management.

Have you tried an incentive bonus to get this right?

Get better, get home and start watching football.

We're thinking of you daily

Anonymous said...

This is it... You're coming out of your last procedure and you're through with the torture... from here on out you're good to go. No more dye, needles, tubes, or staples... you made it through the worst. You may, however, still need to get creative with your diet. But hey, it's not hospital food or heavy cream.

Just think... pretty soon you'll be sitting comfy sipping a glass of wine with Al.

It's amazing that you've had such a postitive perspective throughout this event. You're an inspiration.

We'll talk to you soon.

-martinez

Anonymous said...

The full expression is happy as a clam at high tide or happy as a clam at high water. Clam digging has to be done at low tide, when you stand a chance of finding them and extracting them. At high water, clams are comfortably covered in water and so able to feed, comparatively at ease and free of the risk that some hunter will rip them untimely from their sandy berths. I guess that’s a good enough definition of happy.

Anonymous said...

Joe, that was George R. with the "happy as a clam" skinny. Hell, have them at least bring you a damn Frappacino from Star. You know the one "Dr. everything be alright." Mocha Chip with whip, and caramel, not chocolate on top. Get some.

George R.

Anonymous said...

Joe,

Just wanted to let you know our thoughts and prayers are with you. You are truly an inspiration.

All our love,

Tim and Jo

Anonymous said...

Joe,
I wonder if I could check your site MORE times today for an update??? We've all gotten addicted...and of course, are calling around to each other, concerned about how this morning's surgery went. Waiting anxiously for our Joe (or Al!) 'fix'!!! Hope you are feeling ok! :)
Karen

Anonymous said...

Joe

Now that you're pre-disastered*, I hope you are making your list of other death defying stunts to accomplish:
... bungee jumping
... sky diving
... trapeze camp without the net
... washing windows on the Empire State Building -- no harness
... changing light bulbs on the GWB, blindfolded ...

Keeping vigil on Sunset Hill...
N, J, R & R

* The World According to Garp, John Irving

Anonymous said...

Joe -
Haven't been able to read/write in a few days. I feel like I missed so much.
Shots in your toes!! Blue Dye!! Whipping cream, oh my!

We miss you terribly here! I might start going in your office and talk to myself. I will put a picture of you in the chair so I don't feel too odd.

Hang in there,
-A