Search This Blog

Monday, October 24, 2005

Getting sick/hurt strategically.

At the rate Max is growing he'll have a beard like mine by this time next week.

The health machine moved pretty slowly today. The echo that was supposed to happen by noon didn't occur until 4:00pm by a radiology tech named Shar. That name and the pink highlights should have been warning enough that she wasn't going to be gentle. Don't get me wrong, echos are harmless, basically an unltrasound of the heart. But this was the first one I would categorize as uncomfortable. Perhaps one of Shar's 13 cats peed on her bed again last night because she found just the wrong spots inbetween my ribs to jam the "wand".

The physician's assitant apologized about not being able to take the tubes out until tomorrow 8:00AM because as she said, we don't remove tubes after 4PM, "just in case something happens we want to be sure the right people are here to help." And she has a point. It isn't as if this is a world renowned hospital or anything.

Please, if you take nothing away from this blog, take this:

DO NOT GET INJURED OR ILL AFTER 4PM ON WEEKDAYS OR ANYTIME ON WEEKENDS....There. You have been duly warned.

The Good News
The results of the echo showed no appreciable gain in volume compared to the echo immediately following the second surgery. This means Dr. Gillinov and his team did what was needed to close up what was leaking. Thank you, Dr. Gillinov. In fact he told me that during the surgery they (he, 4 other surgeons, a few cardiologists and the rest of the team) injected more cream into my thymus, put me almost perpendicular to the ground and proceeded to watch me (while split open presumably) to see if there were any other leaks. There were none and today's echo proved all to be well.

So tomorrow I am keeping my fingers crossed that we will get our walking papers. We'll let you know for sure when we know and when I get over the Homeric sorrow sure to accompany the loss of my tubes, wires and tethers.

~Joe

15 days post-op

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi. Synce it's afteer 4PM I'm respondling for Joe McCambley. My name is Delbert, and I'm the bloogger on call. He are hom now. if he was heer, hed tell you to tak it ezy.

Dont fele bad abowt the doktors you get aftar 4. There all gud. All of us that doo on call werk are gudder than all the othurs.

Restwel.

Del

Anonymous said...

It's Happy Meal Time Joe --

What important news you have been given! Three weeks later, it looks like time to have that MacDonalds happy meal downstairs.

Congratulations.

Jamie

Unknown said...

I have enjoyed reading this. I hope that you start feeling much better.
Nice to hear the good news of the test!

Anonymous said...

William Wallace would be proud

Grecian Formula my friend, you know they have it for beards now !

So lets get this straight, after 4 I should hide under my bed until morning unless I have a hang nail, got it.

Fingers crossed, toes crossed eyes crossed, (which makes writing this a bit difficult) that you will be release from confinement

See you soon...I hope

Brook

Anonymous said...

Joe,

Thanks for the tip, I will be sure to get hurt by about 3:30.
Glad to hear you are not leaking anymore, it would be shame to have you and Max in diapers.

Funny thing about the beard, I was looking at old modem pictures recently for Parker's going away party, and i came across a picture of you w/a beard and suspenders!! Very grown up outfit considering you look about 12 in the picture.

take care,

-A